[App_rpt-users] Nodes on same server linked, but not repeating audio?

Chuck Henderson rpt2 at chuck.midlandsnetworking.com
Fri Nov 3 08:45:46 UTC 2017

> This should work`
Maybe it should but I don't think it will.
The problem with the servers all thinking that their public port is 4569 is
that then the registration system will advertise them with the wrong port
unless other steps are taken to modify the registration info.  At least
that is what I ran into when I first tried to do it years ago like you
suggested.  I found the simple fix was to have each server on a different
port, same as Andy is saying.  Maybe now the registration servers are newer
and improved and they pick up NATed ports during registration.  I don't
know.
I am a dinosaur, I know. CCIE2285  I helped write some of the code that
runs in Cisco routers.  I greatly improved the IPV4 NAT code in Cisco
routers (in the beginning) and really made it work well and scale better.
Most of the advanced NAT features that I designed are still in all Cisco
routers and L3 switches but are not used because almost no one knows how to
configure them. So I have to disagree about NAT being evil.  It is
wonderful if you know how to configure it.

I watched the video.  Sorry, there currently is no IPV6 in the voter board
or the RTCM but they are still very useful.  Maybe you can write the IPV6
for them.

I am aware of a couple of bugs in the app_rpt.c that were never fixed by
Jim despite me identifying them and what was causing them.
Yours could be related and I will look for my notes about what I had found
and see if those parts of the code are still the same.
One of the bugs I had tracked down was a bug that under specific situations
would send all transmit audio out over the links including local only audio
like IDs and tones. Apparently, I was the only one who experienced it even
though Jim could reproduce it with my info.  As I remember he gave me the  "
locallist" and "locallinknodes" commands to work around the bug.  That was
too long ago and I don't still have the configurations that needed that and
I don't see any documentation for them so I will have to dig through notes
from long ago to re-find that info.  As I recall, I think it was a sequence
of keydowns back and forth between the linked local nodes aligning with an
ID that would induce the strange problems reliably every time.  Unlinking
the permalinks and re-linking would fix it until the next time.  Now I have
separate computers for each node so it isn't an issue for me now like it
was back then.
While typing this little pieces of memory are coming back to me.  Maybe
after my regeneration cycle tonight I will remember it all.  Maybe I have
jogged someone else's memory who can fix this before I can remember it.

Chuck