[App_rpt-users] Remote reinstall..... Ideas..

Stacy kg7qin at arrl.net
Tue Nov 7 03:19:13 UTC 2017

On 11/04/2017 11:12 AM, Loren Tedford wrote:
> Hello I know you can do a rm -R /  and completely remove everything on
> the hard drive remotely and the system will stay up until reboot
> because i have done this a few times.. Just curious though if its
> possible to remote reinstall asterisk from the scripts that dial uses?
> Example dial installation script etc and data etc.. idk just thinking
> about situations where i might need a hard reset of everything and it
> would be nice to be able to send some dtmf and do complete restore
> remotely or ssh in and do a complete restore etc.. Of course i would
> have to modify things a bit to keep my vpns and stuff in the system
> but it might be worth a shot..

If you have a disk image of the replacement system handy, you can try
some fun with DD over SSH:

dd if=<local disk image/drive> | ssh user at remote dd of=<remote drive>

Example using asterisk.img as an image to write to remote disk /dev/sda:
dd if=asterisk.img | ssh user at remote dd of=/dev/sda

For a status display you can pipe dd through pv.   (You can also try an
alternative to dd like dc3dd):
dd if=<local disk image/drive> | pv | ssh user at remote dd of=<remote drive>

Just note that once this completes, you will have a system in a state
totally different from what it booted with and things may not play well
doing a normal shutdown.

-Stacy
KG7QIN