[App_rpt-users] (no subject)

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Nov 16 03:56:40 UTC 2017

John,

One possibility is that you've got a very old Linux Kernel (2.6.18?),
which doesn't properly support the newer chipset/timer hardware on your
MoBo. I had this problem with ACID (CentOS 5.x) about 8 years ago. I ended
up hand-cooking 2.6.30.5 kernels, which included the kernel hi-res timer
support. That solved the garbled audio problem entirely.

See this ancient thread:
http://lists.allstarlink.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/2009-September/001308.html

73, David KB4FXC

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017, John Griffith wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>

> I’ve had my Allstar ACID system up for years and for the most part it’s working fine.
>
> If the repeater has had no local use for an extended period of time, then someone local transmits into it,
>
> The first 10 seconds of audio is “mororboat” choppy, with rapid
rhythmical packet loss into the remote nodes (not the local transmitter
though), then after 10 seconds or so it’s fine again and There’s no
way to get it to do that again except to wait another 2 hours or so.
Anyone experienced this? I’m on CenturyLink ISP with the proper ports
configured. I don’t find that opening ports makes much difference
anyway, the packets seem to find their way.