[App_rpt-users] chan_usbradio.c error

Benjamin Naber Benjamin at Project23D.com
Thu Nov 16 04:41:20 UTC 2017

I do not recall the error code, but it did have the message verbatim
"Died or something!" and I *was* using usbradio.

Before I swapped the DOM and URi to another machine, I was a bit
stubborn and reset the box - a lot. It seemed be alive and well for
what seemed to be able 12 hours. Sometimes it was less. No idea what
the shortest time was, all I remember is SSH and "reboot now" and
leaving for work. Getting home eight hours later, sometimes the node
would be fine, other times the heartbeat LED on the URI was flashing
*really* fast, or just plain off. And the machine in dmesg said "USB
blah blah blah, Died or something!"

Maybe the damn old hardware just had a (kernel) panic attack! pun
intended.

....more thoughts.........
I would like to make the suggestion, unless extenuating circumstances
prevent it, is make the transition to simpleusb.

I did not want to do it either, as I was a stubborn idiot, but I did
actually like the fact I did not have to perform extra usbradio-tune-
menu steps, ie getting the RX audio level to precisely-around 27000 to
make the DSP happy.

Also, while others may have gotten ctcssfrom=dsp to work, but radio
hardware just does a better job at CTCSS, and does not require extra
work to make it... work.

I figure for that case, and some others, why have a computer do analog
stuff when analog hardware does it infinitely better?

~Benjamin, KB9LFZ