[App_rpt-users] Systemctl --failed

Benjamin Naber Benjamin at Project23D.com
Sun Oct 29 04:42:55 UTC 2017

So an adventure I embarked on this evening was to investigate how to
prevent an OS service from putting the ASL laptop to 'suspend' when the
lid was closed.

I came across systemctl, which can be very dangerous, haha.

Poking around, I learned how to view the status of "things", and was
looking to see what *may* be running that would suspend the laptop when
the lid was closed.

$systemctl status

I saw "System State = Degraded" in red letters. Interesting! I didn't
see what was causing the degraded state, so more reading lead to the
use of the command
$systemctl --failed

which revealed something that I was not wanting to see:
updatenodelist.service (or something like that)

Given that I haven't fooled with any of the bootup stuff, or anything
relating to updatenodelist, but aware that this service is used with
ASL, so I used the following command to stop
$systemctl stop updatenodelist.service

and then started with the following
$systemctl start updatenodelist.service

and then
$systemctl status

"System State - running"

So ADD got the best of me, and jumped off the track off. Bah!

Curious though, anyone else with mad Linux skillz, running an ASL box,
ever make the same discovery? You get one point if was also by
'accident'

For those who want to know, the ASL box has been running for five-ish
days, and before poking around for 'suspend' stuff, I was fooling
around with iax.conf and rpt.conf and restarted asterisk by
$service asterisk stop && service asterisk start

and some other stuff I was fooling around with, but elected to reload
the app_rpt module is the Asterisk console
KB9LFZ-1*CLI> module reload app_rpt.so

this said, asterisk was restarted a few times *before* fooling around
with systemctl...So, is updatenodelist NOT related/hooked to asterisk
starting/stopping?

Not sure if I am asking about a issue or just openly stating an
observation that..... could be an issue?

~Benjamin, KB9LFZ