[App_rpt-users] AllStarLink Maintenance followup

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Sun Aug 12 11:37:25 UTC 2018

On 8/12/18 5:36 AM, David McGough wrote:

> Bryan,
>
> I know it has been a long night for you all. But, my logs are filling with
> registration errors--see below.  These errors are going to make it
> impossible to troubleshoot registration related problems.

I've been busy cleaning up for the evening here.

The team has been hammering this system with over 15k node registrations for
the last couple months.  Our use of IAX2 on the registration server is quite
limited, it's there to get the IAX port (as it appears), and the port from
authenticated hosts.  This gets put in a database with a time stamp.

The system considers someone registered if they have a timestamp in the last
600 seconds, it's not based on IAX status.  So long as you hit one
registration server and register to it in a 10 minute interval, you're in the
nodes file.

With dnsmgr running, IAX2 will tear down reestablish a connection every time
DNS changes.  This has the effect of spreading load out on the servers, and
giving us redundancy.  Should a server go down it will stop updating the
timestamp on DNS entries in the database and that IP will time out of the DNS.

The connections between nodes are built using IAX2 between nodes, so long as
they have a copy of the nodes file they will connect up.  These connections
don't hit the registration server, and only depend on it insofar as getting
the updated nodes list.  You'll note the nodes list now is updated much
faster, and in near real time from the database.  This is a huge improvement
in the 5+ min delay on the prior nodes list.

For checking if your registered from the perspective of the servers use
https://allstar.aargdmr.net/nodelist/ or the main allstarlink.org portal and
check you last registration time and if you're green.  You may also pull the
extnodes file directly from
http://nodes.regsvcs.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/nodes.pl if you're on a
registered node.

The "errors" you are seeing in the logs are just the notice of the IP address
resolving for register.allstarlink.org.  Some of the rejections we due to the
to get registered.  We're in steady state now and registration is stable.

Example:
> Itchy*CLI> iax2 show registry
> Host                  dnsmgr  Username    Perceived             Refresh  State
> 44.72.21.13:4569      Y       44233       44.98.249.6:4569           60  Registered
> 44.72.21.13:4569      Y       42032       44.98.249.6:4569           60  Registered
> 44.98.254.145:4569    Y       41618       44.98.249.6:4569           60  Registered
> 44.98.254.145:4569    Y       40821       44.98.249.6:4569           60  Registered

The time/cpu it takes to build a new connection is the same as refreshing an
existing connection.  Most people will not notice anything, and hopefully if
we have a server fail, they will continue not to notice anything.

I'm off to bed now.
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice