[App_rpt-users] Codec Negotiation

Will Bashlor will at bashlor.com
Fri Feb 9 05:32:38 UTC 2018

 Hi Benjamin,

I agree 100% about the small bandwidth savings not making a difference when
you have great signal, however; that doesn't mean that one codec won't
perform better than another given certain network conditions. I will do
some more testing, but my first initial tests were that ilbc sounded much
better than the others when I had 1 bar of LTE. When there's heavy network
degradation throughput suffers and in certain situations you will see
better results with a lower bandwidth codec.

Think about it, cellular is now VOIP over LTE. And although it doesn't go
through double NAT and has QoS and all that jazz, there's no reason I
shouldn't be able to use AllStar without issues when I have good LTE signal
(i.e. 2 bars or more). Skype, Google Voice, FaceTime Audio, Facebook Audio,
and even Echolink doesn't seem to have this problem on my same commute with
the same network conditions, and neither should AllStar. I mean, I can sit
here at home and stream HD video with no issues on my iPhone. One thing I
will test is connecting via AllStar via Echolink. I'm not sure what codec
is used with AllStar connecting via Echolink.

Verizon is using IPv6 and they are also giving out IPv4 via CGN, which is
what I'm seeing on my phone/hotspot. This is a double NAT, yes, but that's
no excuse either. I could also setup a VPN but then there's even more
complexity and in some cases can make performance worse.

Come to think of it, I hear Grady talking a good bit on his AllStar micro
node through his cellular hotspot while driving and his sounds great. I'll
like to know what cellular service he has and what codec his micro node is
using.

Pretty much off topic, but I do use our local repeaters via RF. When I get
out of range is mainly when I use my hotspot. But I use it to connect back
to our local repeater, when if I didn't have a hotspot I wouldn't be able
to use it. So the way I see it, I get to use the repeater more than if I
didn't have the node, because now all I need is Internet access anywhere in
the world. So I guess I look at it completely different. And as you already
know, it also allows me to connect to Columbus and join in on the AllStar
Tech Net. If I didn't have my node and hotspot while mobile, then that's
less use those repeaters would see.

But for what it's worth I appreciate the time you spent to think about it
and white up your reply.

73 for now.
Will, KE4IAJ