[App_rpt-users] URI-X Issues With New Raspbian build

Jim Aspinwall No1PC no1pc at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 03:47:27 UTC 2018

 So, I 'blew' the latest Stretch build into a new USB flash device... booted and tried to configure an existing node onto it on hardware that is known to work under prior.
1. ASL-MENU did NOT over-write the rpt.conf nor iax.conf files with given parameters - run as 'repeater' sudo root or enabled root user.  FAIL.  How is this fail 'possible' ?

2. Asterisk -rvvvvv... consistently revealed that the attached known interface did not exist and failed out with "...var/run/asterisk.ctl..." does not exist... when it actually does - what condition manifests this?

NO low voltage errors on the console... all this on a known Pi3 AND RA-40 interface configuration under prior Jessie install...

To this... after decades of WinTel system support and a variety of x-Nix support work...

... please understand I do NOT *want* to hint at, support, or indicate that 'Crompton' may be on to something because his builds aren't all that stable and documentation and support are no better an often wrong, accusational... but have not exhibited this level of 'stupid' non-function.

I am also someone at the brunt of "it doesn't work" as an esclation point in massive enterprises, and can at least identify and analyze log files that may contain some hints... "give me (path)xxx log file..." and at least I provide or know full paths, not casual non-specific references.  I would hope, expect the contributing community to be robust in definitive, helpful logging and not simply dismiss users to unqualified rhetoric/fault.

That said...the latest Jessie build is a failure.  The latest Stretch build is a failure.  "change my mind"

I'm back to tweaking the prior Jessie build to work as 'advertised' sans asl-menu and don't dare chance an upgrade/update process to the latest...

I merely anticipate the coders know various failure conditions, can detect and log them... but that is an anticipation not rendered in actual logical recorded fact.|

OK - get it - code contributors are volunteers. Volunteers that are supposedly intimate and knowledgeable with the code, functions, conditions, etc.  Bad power (not evident), bad storage/boot device (not evident), yadda... so, what?

If you cannot document the 'proper' necessary requirements for hardware, process, etc. you cannot hold us users accountable or nor unknown circumstances to blame for failures. This is logical, programmatic... SOMETHING can detect (or not) attached hardware and communications functions... but yet not tell us what part(s) failed?

Certainly when a convenient configuration menu/utility cannot/will not write-out changed parameters - one can determine a file system or rights issue... and reveal same... not leaving the user with the deception the system is good to go when it is sitting there at useless defaults.

We really do NOT want this project left to Crompton for the popular vote, nor the x-Nix elitists... it's much too good for either of that.

I among others are willing to dig deep and provide any log files, etc. that are effective to supportive solutions.  If logging content is ambiguous, not adequate to specific known logical issues, improve logging.  If scripts do not work... let's debug...

The leave behind is that if you were lucky enough to capture a prior Jesse build... sans asl-menu... stash it away and work around manual configs, leave it not user-friendly.

If there are specific hardware, storage device requirements, document and better test for them. Obviously a current bootable latest Jessie build is NOT effective to new or existing node success. Why?

Leave all of this to unstable, undocumented Crompton builds, or do equal or better...

How can I/we help?

-------------------Today's Topics:

  1. Re: URI-X Issues With New Raspbian build (Steve Zingman)
  2. Replay of June 26th Net at 8pm EDT (tonight) on    29999 (Mike)

Message: 1