[App_rpt-users] URI-X Issues With New Raspbian build

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Thu Jul 12 09:00:37 UTC 2018

Answers in-line.

> On 7/11/2018 11:47 PM, Jim Aspinwall No1PC wrote:
>> So, I 'blew' the latest Stretch build into a new USB flash device...
>> booted and tried to configure an existing node onto it on hardware
>> that is known to work under prior.
Lem me see if I understand, you blew which image on to a "new USB flash
device"? what hardware did you try to boot? Do I understand that you
tried to boot a "new USB flash device"

>> 1. ASL-MENU did NOT over-write the rpt.conf nor iax.conf files with
>> given parameters - run as 'repeater' sudo root or enabled root user.
>> FAIL.  How is this fail 'possible' ?
I would guess possible with a bad disk.

>> 2. Asterisk -rvvvvv... consistently revealed that the attached known
>> interface did not exist and failed out with
>> "...var/run/asterisk.ctl..." does not exist... when it actually does
>> - what condition manifests this?
Bad disk.

>> NO low voltage errors on the console... all this on a known Pi3 AND
>> RA-40 interface configuration under prior Jessie install...
Ah, so this is a Pi 3. OK, back to my first question. You blew the
latest Raspbian image on to a "new USB flash device" and booted it in a
Raspberry Pi 3?

>> To this... after decades of WinTel system support and a variety of
>> x-Nix support work...
>>
>> ... please understand I do NOT *want* to hint at, support, or
>> indicate that 'Crompton' may be on to something because his builds
>> aren't all that stable and documentation and support are no better an
>> often wrong, accusational... but have not exhibited this level of
>> 'stupid' non-function
This looks to me like a bad burn. to a "new USB flash device"
>> I am also someone at the brunt of "it doesn't work" as an esclation
>> point in massive enterprises, and can at least identify and analyze
>> log files that may contain some hints... "give me (path)xxx log
>> file..." and at least I provide or know full paths, not casual
>> non-specific references.  I would hope, expect the contributing
>> community to be robust in definitive, helpful logging and not simply
>> dismiss users to unqualified rhetoric/fault.
OK, give me /var/log/syslog. /var/log/messages and
/var/log/asterisk/messages.

>> That said...the latest Jessie build is a failure.  The latest Stretch
>> build is a failure.  "change my mind"
There are a LOT of ASL 1.01 installs on RPi hardware out in the field.
If the image did not work we would know by now.

>> I'm back to tweaking the prior Jessie build to work as 'advertised'
>> sans asl-menu and don't dare chance an upgrade/update process to the
>> latest...
>>
>> I merely anticipate the coders know various failure conditions, can
>> detect and log them... but that is an anticipation not rendered in
>> actual logical recorded fact.
Show me /var/log/syslog and or /var/log/messages

>> OK - get it - code contributors are volunteers. Volunteers that are
>> supposedly intimate and knowledgeable with the code, functions,
>> conditions, etc.  Bad power (not evident), bad storage/boot device
>> (not evident), yadda... so, what?
Are you running with a screen connected to the HDMI port? Show me the
/var/log/boot.log

>> If you cannot document the 'proper' necessary requirements for
>> hardware, process, etc. you cannot hold us users accountable or nor
>> unknown circumstances to blame for failures. This is logical,
>> programmatic... SOMETHING can detect (or not) attached hardware and
>> communications functions... but yet not tell us what part(s) failed?
I'm betting either a bad SD card or take you at your word that you
booted a RPi on a "new USB flash device"

>> Certainly when a convenient configuration menu/utility cannot/will
>> not write-out changed parameters - one can determine a file system or
>> rights issue... and reveal same... not leaving the user with the
>> deception the system is good to go when it is sitting there at
>> useless defaults.
>>
>> We really do NOT want this project left to Crompton for the popular
>> vote, nor the x-Nix elitists... it's much too good for either of that.
I can see not wanting this left to others but what is a "x-Nix elitist"

>> I among others are willing to dig deep and provide any log files,
>> etc. that are effective to supportive solutions. If logging content
>> is ambiguous, not adequate to specific known logical issues, improve
>> logging.  If scripts do not work... let's debug...
Happy to. Show me the log files

>> The leave behind is that if you were lucky enough to capture a prior
>> Jesse build... sans asl-menu... stash it away and work around manual
>> configs, leave it not user-friendly.
There is a lot more to ASL 1.01 then the menus. That is not to say that
Nate did not do a great job with the menus.

>> If there are specific hardware, storage device requirements, document
>> and better test for them. Obviously a current bootable latest Jessie
>> build is NOT effective to new or existing node success. Why?
Still trying to figure out what hardware and boot device you are running.

>> Leave all of this to unstable, undocumented Crompton builds, or do
>> equal or better...
>>
>> How can I/we help?
Give me SSH access to the machine.
See below for my e-mail address.