[App_rpt-users] SimpleUSB

Mike mm at midnighteng.com
Fri Jun 1 04:43:30 UTC 2018

Follow-up...

I knew there were some strange doc errors  and no good docs when I
loaded my first ACID system

Now that I have converted my first 'radio' system to deb9 I re-live that
a bit.

But for those of you thinking of or that have failed to use the parallel
port for cor and ptt,

it may be from older docs still floating around the web that I know are
wrong for the last 8 years or more.

So, here is the skinny...

1st you must set a definition for the port address in rpt.conf

iobase=0x378     ; Parallel port address (using for cor/ptt & switches
+dh-rbi  - 378,278,3bc common Lpt 1,2,3

Then, in either radiousb or simpleusb you need to define the pins you
need for the service.

[usb_29285]
pp6=ptt
pp11=cor

So that's the skinny. Simple right !

There are 4 input pins (9-12)  and 8 output pins assignable and can also
be used for hard ctcss signaling or switching on/off devices at your
site with the help of a transistor/diode and relay.

Now my issue not getting this to work in the conversion had nothing to
do with that. But a reminder that I had to tear the source apart to
figure this out back in the day.

My issue was a type error in the conversion that everyone yet to come
from a original old ACID should take notice of.

When I used my original file for this, but not rpt.conf , since I want
to rewrite it and clean it up. (it's massive)

The standard practice had changed relating to a "_" underscore

[usb_29285]   /  [usb29285]  and was a hard one to notice. So you might
make sure yours matches your rpt.conf file

rxchannel = SimpleUSB/usb_29285  /  rxchannel = SimpleUSB/usb29285

So, my fresh default rpt.conf had the underscore and my x-ferd file of
simpleusb did not.

Perhaps that will help some from loosing a few hairs ! But I think most
have switched long before me.

(why didn't someone tell me....LOL)

73,

...mike/kb8jnm