[App_rpt-users] ASL Deployed on a VPS in under 1 hour as HUB

Mike mm at midnighteng.com
Tue May 15 06:36:18 UTC 2018

Just wanted to let those know that have had a wish-list of a deployment
of a hub on a VPS, and  know that it was quite easy.

On the down side for me is that I am a CentOS guy. I run over a dozen
centos64 servers now. Started with centos in v3 I think.

Debian is new for me.

Struggled a little. And on the plus side for time, I had a old config
for the same from ACID .

Here is the quick what/where... (I am not endorsing anyone)

I used a 1 core 500mb / 25gb VPS from Vultr.com

...you may need to 'change server locations' to find that small cheap
one @ $2.50/month

Once you have a server picked-out and deployed (5min) and it's loaded
and ready,

You will need to load a custom ISO of the ASL from the http-link address
at allstarlink.org of the 'ISO' image.

After it has loaded in the tray (few min) reboot the server

Watch the top right hand side of the screen for the local/console
monitor button to see what you are doing.

For me it loaded up in less than 15min but that's a guess. It was pretty
darn quick.

But while you are waiting, you can ready your ssh shell with new ip if
you want or do your set-up at allstarlink etc.

But do not alter the server setting at Vultr while the process is
ongoing. Before or after would be in order here.

You will need to unload that iso from the tray and reboot at the end to
continue from the vultr server setup page.

I will say for me... I had to set myself up as root ssh right away or it
would have taken me twice as long or more to edit the files and 'stuff'
since I'm not use to debian linux. but it does not seem all so
different. But I rarely run as sudo.

When I'm done, I revert back to locking up root. But I am sure it will
take most a little bit longer to deploy as i am use to the menu at vultr
since a load a experimental server there all the time and destroy it
after my tests.

Anyway, hope that gets some folks thinking of new possibilities and
trying some new things out.

For me... this node number is 29999 and I had ask for it in advance of
hitting the 30000 mark and was intended to be just what I am doing with
it now. But I do intend to build many repeater toys in this central spot
to be used by other repeater/nodes I have. Perhaps then I can slim down
my computer boards driving the repeaters.

But I would like to see a bunch of activity on this 29999/hub over the
next week to examine how much activity will load it down so I have some
idea in real terms what it will handle. So if you all can help me out
with that great ! Connect up and shoot some round tables for a bit.

I may in the future sponsor some tech nets/how 2's on this hub. But I do
have in mind a experiment with a http html5 webtransiever when I have
time. It would be for emergency use only. Think of all the possibilities
for yours and go for it !

One other note I am playing with...

I have pointed a FQDN domain at the server for now and it is 29999.link
(port  80 not opened yet, not till I get csf config'd) and I just wanted
those that might have that in mind in the future to perhaps think of
using the '.LINK' extension for these things. They are cheap and
available for most 5number names. Unlike .com/.net/.org since 5number
names are well taken as zipcodes in the us. (node#.LINK)

But all in all... Guys/Gals Thanks for all the hard work from those on
the new ASL Debian versions. Thank You !

A Very smooth and accurate deployment.

...mike/kb8jnm