[App_rpt-users] VPS test results on 512mb instance

Mike mm at midnighteng.com
Tue May 22 17:14:06 UTC 2018

1st. Thanks to everyone who took part in trying to test/flood that
instance last night.

As some know all the ports on this instance were blocked but 22.

Just thought I should pass what I learned from the test. One thing I
should have known better.

I never wanted to run a 512mb instance for myself. Just wanted to know
if it could be done and the limits of it. I know for sure many were
going to try it for the attractive $2,50 a month price tag.

Since you can quickly bump-up the resources, I figured..WHY NOT FIND
OUT' initially anyway.

Now those that tested with us know that the ports were blocked on that
instance for 29993

So I spent the night trying to find out what was up without sending a
support ticket up the chain since I have 1 other 1gb instance 'running'
that ran just fine. (29999) Deployed in New Jersey.

So I deployed 6 other instances last night to see if I could get some
answers. It was bugging me.

And let me say, I should have known better than to test something like
that without leaving it as a normal install that you guys might be
typical of having, to get a result you might get yourself. But the night
before I was loading other toys into the server when I ran into a issue
and decided to stop because of that fact. It left it 'non-typical'.

But I did 'want' to be able to say something back to the group about
what actually happened and looking back at it, I can not.

I found not only errors with my install as far as networking made more
complicated with some of the DNS tricks I was doing with the domain name
pointed at it. But some other type errors I found in the files. When
that was fixed, I still had a problem.

SO, I can't really slight Vultr or the 512mb instance they have.

But for me, I must move on. I have a lot of stuff I want to deploy in a
short time so I have to leave this alone for now.

So if anyone creates a 512mb instance that works, please tell the
group.  Lets do a real world load test on it. I was kinda thinking that
the issue for me may have been the vultr 'location of server' since I
also had issues with 1gb instances at the 'MIAMI' server location. But
because of my botched launch's and not staying on standard, I can't say
for sure so take that for what it's worth.

I never intended to run a 512mb instance, but thought it would be nice
to know what it will handle. Since it is so easy to
'bump-up-the-resources' of any instance going up but not down, I wanted
to test on the way up. Perhaps someone else will enlighten us since
others have deployed these on VPS ? Please Do !

What you should use is dependent on what you intend to do with it.

If you are going to run other software/scripting that require more
headroom, get the larger deployment of 1gb anyway.

For me for now, I just believe the issues were at the miami server
location. And that is the only place the 512mb instance were available
so I'm moving forward without knowing.

If you have deployed on a 512mb instance at vultr, and are having
connectivity issues, I suggest creating a instance at other locations
first and that may force you to bump-up to 1gb install if they are not
available. I have had 0 issues with 1gb at New Jersey/New York on 4 test
deployments. So if you don't want to waste time and can afford the $5 an
month, go for the 1gb instance and stay away from the Miami server rack.

Sorry I can't say more but I've said enough, I think. Hope that saves
some a little head-ache of your own.

But I feel strongly that these deployments will be a asset in the
future, and encourage anyone to dabble with one.

To add to that, the deployment from ISO is pretty much flawless, thanks
guys for the hard work !

73, your tired beta tester...LOL...

...mike/kb8jnm