[App_rpt-users] Welcome

Brett Friermood brett.friermood at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 21:41:36 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:01 PM walter <waltcarter30 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I feel the same way. I have been reading the posts for the last week and
> feel reluctant to ask questions. I hope you guys get over this.
> I think I will wait a while before I request help.
> Walt WB4LDS

Walter, and Steve, welcome to the world of AllStar Link.

If you have questions on the use of Asterisk and app_rpt, don't hesitate to
ask. There is a lot of technical experience available through this list and
I have never seen anyone berated for asking questions and trying to learn.
Just a small point, as with other forms of technical support a well written
and information rich message will do more to help both you and those
helping you than poorly laid out and written messages lacking detail.

As for today's ongoing discussion you referenced, there is much more
background than may be visible at face value. Most of the tension stems
from a small group of developers who basically forked the project a while
back and continue to maintain a closed source repository of their code.
General consensus is that the GNU GPL v2 license, under which Asterisk is
distributed, requires their code to be open-sourced, yet they have publicly
refused to do so.

A quick search of the internet will bring up many more discussions on that
topic as well as claims of other questionable activities by those
developers. As for some of the other replies to the thread, unfortunately
this list is a reflection of the greater world of amateur radio, and
similarly has the same broad spectrum of personalities.

Brett KQ9N