[App_rpt-users] Server Security

Bryan St Clair bryan at k6cbr.us
Tue Sep 4 17:56:53 UTC 2018

I never stated NAT was security. I referenced what most run at a home
configuration. Most current routers have a basic firewall that is denying
all traffic except established traffic. Not the older generation of routers.

As I said and you ended with, a secure password is the best defence the
home user could do. This is the most common failure in security, even at
the router level. In my 20+ years experience, networks rarely get exposed
unless the user let's someone in via a open port or poor passwords. Or even
default passwords. Of course, self inflicted infections are another beast.

I have setup hundreds of networks, servers including Allstar servers and
they have never had a intrusion. I have never used fail2ban in those
cases.  In company cases other devices are used, but I won't go into that
as most are not in this situation for Allstar.

They can't get in if your exposed point is not responsive to their
connection attempts.

Much more can be done in home networks as you increase exposure and history
further.