[App_rpt-users] Multiple PL tones

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Fri Feb 8 15:55:47 UTC 2019

Marty,

Multiple CTCSS tone encoding/decoding is available in the usbradio
channel driver.  To properly use this channel driver, you must deliver
raw discriminator audio into the radio adapter.  You must also drive the
TX modulator with the encode tone.  A complete explanation of this is
beyond the scope of this email.

It is NOT currently recommended to use the CM119B based radio adapters
with usbradio because of several issues.  Use an older URI, URIx or
other radio adapters that still use the CM119A.

The minimum number of changes to the CTCSS stanza in the usbradio.conf
file looks like this:

carrierfrom=dsp
ctcssfrom=dsp
rxdemod=flat
txctcssdefault=88.5    ; Tx CTCSS Default Encode
                                     ; Encodes this tone if no other
tone in use.

rxctcssfreqs=88.5, 103.5, 123.0, 186.2        ; rx ctcss frequency. this
must be in the tone table.
txctcssfreqs=88.5, 103.5, 123.0, 186.2        ; tx ctcss frequency. any
frequency is permitted.

Basically, if you come in on 88.5, the repeater will encode 88.5. If you
come in on another frequency, you'll encode that frequency, if
everything is defined correctly.  There are timing parameters that can
be 'buggy', but it does work to some degree.  You can use any of the
CTCSS tones defined in the table.

Kevin W3KKC