[App_rpt-users] A few addons for ASL speech

Brian G gravesb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 08:20:48 UTC 2019

Not sure if I can post this here or not. Apologies in advance if it's not
of interest to anyone.

I wrote a few python programs that convert useful text data from the
internet into speech for playback on ASL. Probably only useful if you're in
Canada (except the last one).

The first one is wx.py which retrieves weather forecasts and current
conditions from environment Canada; https://github.com/va3dxv/wx.py

The second one is ontario511.py which grabs current road conditions from
ontario511. This will require a bit of minor tweaking to an "if statement"
to get it to grab your preferred roads/highways;
https://github.com/va3dxv/ontario511.py

The last one, bands.py fetches the current solar and estimated band
conditions from hamqsl.com. HF only at the moment but I'll be working on
adding the 6M/VHF estimations soon; https://github.com/va3dxv/bands.py

These will all require an API key to api.voicerss.org (free for up to 350
requests a day). They also require your system has LAME and SOX installed
for the audio conversion, as well as a couple of python modules. Add the
scripts to the system/root crontab to grab the data and generate the audio
once an hour or so, that way the sound file is always relatively fresh and
can be played immediately with a DTMF command. Alternatively you can
schedule the playback on your repeater at specific times.

I'm not a programmer by any means, and pretty new to python, so I'm sure
this can be done in a more elegant way... but this is what I came up with
and I thought I'd share. Any comments, bugs or questions, please let me
know. :)

Thanks and Happy New Year