[App_rpt-users] GE Mastr III and DMK USB-URI

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Mon Mar 11 12:32:19 UTC 2019

I apologize - this is long, but it's necessary (I think)?

The COS and PL "hardware" logic inputs on the radio adapter were
originally the volume-up and volume-down functions, actuated by manual
(push button tactile) switches in a standard audio adapter (FOB).  These
inputs are internally pulled high, to 3.3 V, and have to be pulled low
enough to become valid.  As such the push-button switches made a good
ground when depressed, as that's what the other side of the switch was
tied to - ground.  Most AllStar radio adapters use protection diodes
(BAT-43's) that don't allow voltage to be sent into the CM1XX chip.  If
voltage is allowed to be inputted to these pins, the chip is destroyed.
So - with the diodes in place, it doesn't matter what voltage is present
on the COS or CTCSS hardware inputs, because voltage on these pins
doesn't make anything happen, and because of the protection diodes,
doesn't hurt anything if voltage is present.

Okay, so the CM108/119's logic inputs are looking for a ground to be
valid.  This "active low" condition is required NO MATTER if the setting
in the conf file is upright or inverted.  So - the setting in the
configuration file doesn't change the fact that the adapter needs an
active low to be valid and assert the condition. All this software
setting does is change if the low condition exists when the radio is
hearing a valid signal, or when it's not.  Using a DMM, you can read the
voltage on the CM119 side of the BAT-43 diodes to see if the logic level
is properly changing from 3.3 to 0.0 (or a few tenths of a volt).

Not all radio logic signals are created equal.  Some logic circuits can
source current, but lack the ability to sink. Sometimes active high
circuits (circuits that provide a voltage when the state becomes active)
don't have the ability to pull to ground very well. These circuits may
not have the capability to pull the COS and CTCSS inputs low enough on
the radio adapter to become valid/active.  A pull-down resistor can
help, but nothing beats a real active low circuit.  A 2N2222 (or similar
NPN transistor) with the emitter grounded usually works well. Use the
collector to feed logic to the radio adapter and use a suitable bias
resistor to the base.  Of course, if you happen to find a place that
goes to ground when the receiver is active (or vice versa), it should
work as-is, again, as long as it's active low. The resistor can be any
wattage 1/8 watt or higher. Its value isn't critical either, a 1k to 47k
would likely be acceptable.

Is the radio adapter a URI, URIx, or URIxB?

Hope this helps..

Kevin W3KKC