[App_rpt-users] What exactly is a node in AllStarLink

larry larry at n7fm.com
Sun Mar 17 00:04:59 UTC 2019

I believe what some forget that there was/is an Asterisk interface
https://www.digium.com/products/telephony-cards/analog prior to all of
us hopping on the Allstar Wagon with the App-Rpt module which Jim Dixon
provided for us. Most of us Hams use some form of the C-Media Sound
cards as our interface from Radio to Computer rather than the Digium
Computer Cards which are mainly used for Asterisk and PBX.

Eric,   Simply Allstar NODES have RF Radio Interface capabilities that
PURE Asterisk does not.

My take from your question is, what you run is probably pure Asterisk
Hardware/Software.  Allstar nodes are still Asterisk driven but use an
older modified/patched version which includes additional modules that
have the capability to control RF Radio and Repeater hardware along with
integrating their audio to and from a computer and eventually Asterisk.
"Node" more than likely comes from the way we utilize Allstar.

I am no document writer or Guru. Maybe some one will give a more
detailed answer.

Hope that helps.

Larry - N7FM