[App_rpt-users] Allstarlink's new registration server

Steve Jason sj38200d at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:18:40 UTC 2021

I have to admit, based upon all the rhetoric I had been reading, I was
concerned about the new Allstarlink's new registration server.  Happily, I
feel so much better now.   Their new system appears to be working
flawlessly for the last two weeks. I see there are consistently over 5100
nodes registered at any one time on their new system.  The nodelist and
stats page comes up so much faster than the old registration server.

I know this may be a controversial statement but I just don't see the point
of setting up a separate PTTlink registration server.   It adds a lot of
unnecessary technical complications for no apparent gain.   There are
approximately only 50 nodes registering on the PTTlink system at any one
time.   I suspect a lot of those sites simply have static IP addresses in
their configuration files and are none the wiser. They probably don't
realize their nodes are not on the allstarlink system.

Google Cloud Flare is really robust and has also sorts of backup and
failover solutions.   My work uses Cloud Flare and all our techs love it.

I know there is a lot of hard feelings from the PTTlink group toward the
Allstarlink Inc group.   If the PTTlink folks want to set up their own
separate registration then do it.    Nevertheless, it is time for the
PTTlink group to do the right thing and frankly grow up.   They need to
return Jim Dixon's IP ranges and the Allstarlink Git hub page back to
Allstarlink Inc.   Just because their feelings are hurt doesn't justify
stealing the IP address ranges and talking control of the Github.  -  Shame
on the PTTlink group for doing that.  They are only punishing the Ham
community by this childish and frankly criminal behavior.   If they have
some justification for stealing the IP addresses and the Github, I would
love to hear it.
I suspect we will hear crickets.