[FRC] Florida Repeater Council Information
DWFComm at aol.com
DWFComm at aol.com
Sun Oct 2 23:52:32 EDT 2016
I'm pretty sure that I am not an FRC member, though not certain..as I have
not had any form of "Minutes of meetings" in ages -if ever.
I had thought that the unusually slow processing speed was a "due
diligence" effect , and a nuisance at best ..however I have heard of "Paper
Repeaters" existing and even a story of certain frequencies/pairs being held
from general use only to be "sold" to some well healed or politically
How any of the above -if true- equates to the proper management of
frequency assets worries me , and throws the otherwise best practices book
into the Chipper.
If your efforts would include an immediate sweep for DEAD WOOD and
Paper machines ...count me in.
If it was truly the best the current FRC could do, God bless them for
the effort , but If stories of malice are true ..an intervention is
However , I can't help thinking that previous performance of the FRC
and the attrition of Hams capable of ginning up a repeater .,constitute a
rapidly approaching drain.
In my travels over the last few years , I have heard a shocking ebb
in repeater activity ,and even the once friendly VHF Spx 146.52 is near
desolate of travel companions.
I fear that HAMS willing to put up with the "WE SAY SO Company " ethic
of the recent FRC...are likely to believe a new FRC would be just
rearranging the deck chairs on the "S.S. Minnow" .
In a message dated 10/2/2016 10:23:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Bryan at bryanfields.net writes:
Greetings and welcome to the Florida Repeater Discussion List,
I am Bryan Fields, W9CR.
I’m involved in amateur radio in the Tampa Bay area, with membership in
four local clubs and chairman of the Technical Committee for my local group.
Professionally I am a Network Architect with a major telecom company. I’
ve been a licensed amateur since 1995 (over 2/3 of my life), hold a
GROL+Radar and have a background in cellular/microwave networks.
Fellow Amateurs, the FRC is an organization run amuck. Incompetent
directors are managing it, flouting the bylaws, violating Florida Law, and
ignoring member needs. I am asking for your proxy for the upcoming FRC meeting.
It has failed in its ability to coordinate operations of amateur radio
repeaters in the following ways:
* <!--[if !supportLists]-->Publication of the FRC database on a
* This database dump in MySQL format and the associated webpages
show without a doubt the level of incompetency in the programming behind the
database. This is nothing but gross negligence on the part of Director
Rodakis and Director Lavender.
* Per the coordination policy, locations are to be kept secret,
however a Reddit user was kind enough to post a Google earth KML showing the
coordinated location of every repeater in the state.
* All your personal data, phone, email, home address, repeater site
address and Repeater Site GPS coordinates are published.
* Length of the coordination process is unacceptable!
* As of this writing coordination applications post 1/25/2016 have
not been processed. It’s October!
* If the coordinator cannot process applications in a reasonable
time, he needs to step down.
* Renewals have not been processed post 5/7/2016! As most
coordinations expire on 9/30/2016, this means no members may vote under the
bylaws! This applies to the board as well.
* <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->Violation of the
coordination policy by the directors
* Willful violation of the bylaws by the directors
* Willful violations of FS 617 regarding members request for
* Acknowledged receipt of this by President Kassis
* Publicly stating the policy of the FRC is “is unable to search for
available frequencies”, when this is the FCC definition of a frequency
* When they do suggest frequencies there active repeaters on them,
some even coordinated well under the radius.
* Inventing new coordination polices on the fly without approval of
The FRC must be reformed if it wishes to keep its legitimacy. Frequency
coordination is voluntary in amateur radio, and there is little reason for
amateur radio operators in Florida to seek coordination from the FRC under
this current administration.
My goal is to transform this organization into a healthy helping hand for
repeater operators and other amateur spectrum users. No one should be
answered with contempt for months after putting an application in for
coordination only to be told “fill it out again, we can’t edit it”. This should
not be an organization which exists as a good-ol’-boy system breading
contempt; rather one which operates in the open, in accordance with its bylaws,
and accountable to its members.
The FRC should ask how to say “Yes” rather than saying “No” in working
with their members and other amateurs.
My plan to get us on the right track is:
* <!--[endif]-->Remove the current directors for gross incompetency
and exposing the organization to liability:
* Ray Kassis, N4LEM
* Dana Rodakis, K4LK
* (Glenn) Mike Fletcher, NI4M
* Chuck Lavender, W4CLL
* Demand new elections for existing directors in compliance with the
* Establish a bylaw committee to rewrite the bylaws and change the
organization structure to better serve all amateurs in Florida.
* Establish a development process for new policies from the
* Encourage input from the membership based on sound technical
* De-centralize coordination by having a web enabled database be
accessible to the public showing all history of an application through
* No one person should be the gatekeeper of the database.
* Make all records of the FRC open to the public, as any non-profit
serving the public interest must be.
I will make a motion to accomplish this at the next meeting at the
Melbourne Hamfest meeting. To make this happen, I am asking for your proxy, if
you’re a member of the FRC. You will need to print out this form and sign
it, then send a scan or legible picture of it to me via email or text
message. If you can attend the meeting, please do so.
It’s $10 to become a member on the FRC website and it buys the right to
have a say in the future of amateur radio in Florida.
I fully expect to be shouted down by the board, but as members we cannot
be ignored. I wish to resolve this via the membership, but if ignored I do
intend to comply the board, by any legal means, to follow the bylaws and FS
I need your proxy by the Friday, October 7, 2016.
73’s and see you at Melbourne,
Bryan Fields, W9CR
P.S. Please feel free to discuss this on list. If you wish to not be a
part of this discussion you can remove yourself using the link at the bottom.
I'm happy to oblige your wishes via direct email as well if you have any
FRC-Info mailing list
FRC-Info at lists.keekles.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the FRC-Info