[FSG-public] Repeater updates

Bryan Fields bryan at flscg.org
Sun Mar 13 22:29:25 EDT 2016

We accomplished much today even with the wind gusting to 50 mph on the roof.

We didn't get the computer interfacing done just yet, but we did get all 5
repeaters terminated with 1/2 heliax from the lightning arrestors in the
shelter.  We installed 4 coax grounds bonding the coax to the "birdcage".

Of most interest the group will be the improvements made to the 443.525 with
the addition of a preamplifier.  This is a receiver amplifier that sits post
the receiver side of the duplexer and improves the sensitivity of the
receiver.  We measured the receiver sensitivity before adding the pre-amp and
found it was -119.5 dBm for 12dB of signal/noise, which is quite good.  With
the pre-amp inline we measured the sensitivity as -126.5, and improvement of
about 7dB.  This is quite frankly amazing as the thermal noise in a 25 kHz
channel is -130 dBm, so we're 4db more than the noise for a usable signal.

You will see this as much improved signals on HT's and lower power/further out
mobiles.

We're ready once we get internet fiber in place for linking and installing the
data radios.

Please get on and give it a try.

73's

--