[FSG-public] FCC NPRMs pending that will eliminate HamWAN

Bryan Fields bryan at flscg.org
Tue Nov 26 20:15:36 UTC 2019

There are curently two NPRM's that have overwhelming support of the FCC for
eliminating 5.9 and 3.4 GHz bands.

> http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-to-oppose-proposal-to-eliminate-3-3-3-5-ghz-amateur-allocation

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-360940A1.pdf

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/112142695991/DA-19-1202A1.pdf

These are not open for commenting yet, but when they are we need all users
here to issue a comment on both.

As you may be aware the DSRC users have all but eliminated the use of 5.9 GHz
in the Tampa site.  These people have proven they are incompetent and we would
expect the same sort of user to appear in the valuable 3.4 GHz band.

3.4 GHz is the only non-shared with part 15 amateur band, and we use it
exclusively for backhaul on the Tampa Bay HamWAN.  There is no other band
where we have clean spectrum, and easily accessible data radios.

10 GHz would be great, but there are no commercial companies building product
which will work there.

If we loose both bands, HamWAN and high-speed data networking is dead.
--
Bryan Fields, W9CR
Florida Simulcast Group, Inc.