[Allstar Digital] DV4Mini

Mike Zingman mike.zingman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 14:12:01 EST 2015

So we have a different thread for this device..

>From my perspective the dv4m is an interesting widget.  The hardware is not
special (it has been done before) but it is solid and inexpensive.  It
offers a fully digital interface to DMR from the RF side.  With the
published interface (see
http://dv4m.ham-dmr.ch/Dokumentation/TechnicalDocs/dv4mini_interface.pdf)
you can fully control the radio.

The challenge is to use the raw I/O commands and build up an OPEN system
that will let us experiment.  Towards that end I have started a framework
that lets me communicate with the dongle.  This was fairly easy and is
currently sending and receiving DMR frames from my host software.

I have also added code to the host to send and receive point to point
packets of DMR frames and will be testing this soon.  I have more work to
do here to finish the frame decoder, which will be used to better
synchronize the two peers.

As you might expect, I have several different projects all in the works, so
multitasking this at the moment.  My eventual goal is to have a generic
framework that I can then use to connect any source with any sinc (read
local DMR subscriber radio with the world).

So, why reinvent the wheel?  The dv4m already connects with the DMRPlus and
other networks.  What more could a ham want?  The easy answer: to
experiment.  The current code is not *open* and can not be used as the
basis for other projects.  In order to make this happen, open source is
required.  All of the code I am working on for the dv4m will be published
so others can build upon it.

Mike