[Allstar Digital] DMRGateway

John D. Hays john at hays.org
Mon Nov 28 12:21:43 EST 2016

I speculate that the solution is going to be implementing jitter buffering
on the PCM side of the audio going into the DV3000 (ThumbDV or PiDV) and
possibly outbound.  The AMBE3000 chip is a fairly simple I/O device and the
packet protocol is looking for a stream of PCM audio coming in for AMBE
out, and a stream of AMBE in for PCM out.  If those streams are 'starved'
(underflow) for data, it doesn't automatically fill in the missing data.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 6:57 AM, Robert Newberry <N1XBM at amsat.org> wrote:

> I have been playing around with the DV3000 and I noticed something
> interesting in regards to the "runaway delay" users that are rapid fire
> picket fencing seem to be the causing the problem. I was even able to
> see/hear the problem happen.
>
> I have 3 users on my repeater network. one of them was having a problem
> with the voter, another always has a extremely poor picket fence signal,
> and the last is on a VOX circuit who drops and picks up PTT a lot.
>
> The last two weeks two of the three people fixed their problems and had
> solid signals allowing for trouble free DMR <-> Allstar QSO for atleast a
> half hour. The third person who is perpetual weak showed up and instantly
> the dv3000 started building a delay.
>
> I did some targeted controlled testing and introduced what I'd call rapid
> key/unkey and I could make the delay start to a point where it appeared I
> somehow over loaded the DV3000 to start it dropping out. I then re ran the
> test with solid analog signals for 40 minutes and the gateway ran
> perfectly.
>
> I also am using on dv3000 between two repeaters and using the bridge to
> route the talkgroup for allstar audio to two repeaters which causes slow
> slurred audio on one repeater. I'm still trying to figure out how to stop
> this. The problem goes away when I remove the bridge rules to send the
> Allstar talkgroup to my other repeater.
>
> N1XBM
> Apparare Scientor
> Paratus Communicare
> Allstar Node # 27086, 41540, 41812, 42086, 42658, 42657
> www.radioguysrepeaternetwork.com

John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223