[App_rpt] Setting up a simplex node

Steve Rodgers hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Tue Feb 6 22:16:58 UTC 2007

Stephen,

See my responses below:

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 10:06, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
> > We would like to suggest you plan to build a full-duplex system as this
>
> will provide much more flexibility than a simplex node.
>
> That brings up another interesting point that I failed to mention in my
> original posting. I am a little confused as to the definition of full
> duplex. When I think full duplex, I think that of like a telephone
> conversation where the caller and receiver can both talk at the same time.
> How exactly does this work in App_rpt? I only have one radio to work with
> with one simplex frequency, is this not intended for this type of setup?

Allthough simplex nodes can be deployed, they suffer from a number of
drawbacks. The major deficeit is break-in capability. If you are listening to
a busy  QSO on a linked system with a bunch of nodes connected, a simplex
node cannot be used to break in to a that QSO since your simplex radio will
always be transmitting and your receiver will be disabled. In addition, you
will not be able to use remote bases on the system if they get tuned to busy
channels. (This is a real problem with HF remote bases), and you'll be locked
out of disconnecting from the remote base. Another minor drawback is that is
is much more difficult to get the audio levels adjusted on a simplex node
since you can't adjust transmit and receive levels at the same time.

Full duplex will require two radios and a duplexer. (you will be essentially
be building a repeater). Being able to transmit and receive at the same time
from a user radio is not the primary advantage of building a full duplex
node, but the added benefit to doing it this way is that you don't have to
wait for any carrier drops before talking or breaking into an existing QSO,
and on a linked system such as allstar link, this full duplex is really the
only way to go.

> >BTW: We are working on a less expensive solution which requires 2 of
>
> inexpensive X100p FXO cards (around $10-$20) plus a modified ARIB, but it
> isn't >ready yet as it requires either changes to the ARIB, or an addtional
> external board.
>
> That sounds like a more economical solution. Do you plan on having this
> anytime soon?

We can't promise a delivery dats on this, but it is something we are persuing.

> One of the biggest things that attracted me to this project was openness. I
> think echolink and IRLP are excellent systems, but too closed and
> proprietary in nature which prohibits experimentation. I hope this project
> goes far!

Yep.