[App_rpt] Still Looking for help to get the anode backup and

Will w4wwm at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 6 03:14:44 UTC 2007

Steve,

See below.

>If you are getting receive audio through all of the op-amps, then it has
>to be a receive audio level problem. (either its too high or too low).
>You are going to have to put the system in duplex=2 to properly adjust
>the levels. (See my question below)

>Also, when you logged in, a few weeks ago, I noticed that your receive
>audio was way too high. This will cause just as many DTMF decode issues
>as not enough level.
During that time the audio was not adjusted, I was playing around withe the permissions.
If you hear audio then that is good, I didn't think audio was passing through the system from
from the transmit from another radio or maybe it was from the connect command?
>Also, did you follow the audio level adjustment procedure and set the
>transmit audio to 3 KHz deviation followed by setting the receive audio
>with a 1 khz signal source so that you get 3KHz of deviaton on the
>output, per the instructions? Using voice or touch tones will result in
>the levels being set incorrectly.
Well yes and no. I did read the procedures, I have a ham friend with a signal generator thats coming over when he have the time to induce the required
signals on the receive circuit. But in the mean time I have a 1kh wav file signal on my other linux box that I can induce the signal
in the receive circuit. This is how I tested the milivolts on the op-amps IC, U1B and U1C

>This all beings up another question. Are you trying to adjust levels
>without using instrumentation such as a signal generator, service
>monitor, or deviation meter? It is really difficult to get the system
>adjusted without this instrumentation by an inexperienced user. I can do
>it by ear, but it isn't as good as when I do it with instrumentation.
Yes, I do remeber the talk on the audio adjustment and will not connect to any other node until I
get the audio right. I do have an ocilliscope and the Ham friend have the a signal generator right now
I have some time to work on it but the ham schedule is quite different and we have to get together when time permits.

>If you don't have instrumentation, I would try doing the following: Call
>into app_rpt using the reverse autopatch feature (you will need to set
>this up in extensions.conf). Unsquelch the receiver so that you get COR
>and receiver noise. Turn the RX level pot all the way counterclockwise
>until you hear nothing (silence). Gradually turn up the RX level pot
>until you hear some noise, they try using an HT to send DTMF commands.
>If the tones don't mute, or sound chopped up, try increasing the RX
>level until you get the tones to mute, and commands start being recognized.

>NOTE: If you have a receiver with a lot of RX audio output, the RX pot
>will be touchy, and a fraction of a turn will result in a lot of
>receiver noise being heard. If this is the case, carefully adjust the
>pot until you barely hear the noise at first.

>If DTMF tones don't mute, regardless of the setting of the RX audio pot,
>try the opposite de-emphasis setting on the ARIB and repeat the above
>procedure.

>This procedure isn't the best, and I wouldn't recommend it as an
>alternate way to set the receive levles, but It should allow you to
>figure out what is going on with the receive audio.
>Why did you go to duplex=0 instead of duplex=2? That makes it very
>difficult for to set levels.
I'am trying two different radio/controller configurations. I will shorlty move the repeater off the commom repeater
controller then on to the ARIB as the full duplex repeater controller, duplex=2, then take another connections to the common
controller to control it from asterisk using duplex=0, which have 3 other radio ports plus a RS232 port hopefully for 2m agile operations.
Yeah, I know it's the long way around but I have the equipment on hand and I might as well put it to work.

I do appreciated all your help and having lots of fun tinkering.
Will / W4WWM