[App_rpt] Still Looking for help to get the anode backup and

Stephen Rodgers hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Mon Nov 5 03:39:58 UTC 2007

Will,

See below.

Will wrote:
> Steve,
>
> The below note is from the our last post troubleshooting the ARIB/Asterisk-app_rpt for no receive audio.
>
>>> Download the ARIB schematic from zapatatelephony.org and check all the
>>> op-amp outputs in the receive audio chain for audio with a scope. Maybe
>>> you are missing the NO TS-64 jumper?

If you are getting receive audio through all of the op-amps, then it has
to be a receive audio level problem. (either its too high or too low).
You are going to have to put the system in duplex=2 to properly adjust
the levels. (See my question below)

Also, when you logged in, a few weeks ago, I noticed that your receive
audio was way too high. This will cause just as many DTMF decode issues
as not enough level.

Also, did you follow the audio level adjustment procedure and set the
transmit audio to 3 KHz deviation followed by setting the receive audio
with a 1 khz signal source so that you get 3KHz of deviaton on the
output, per the instructions? Using voice or touch tones will result in
the levels being set incorrectly.

This all beings up another question. Are you trying to adjust levels
without using instrumentation such as a signal generator, service
monitor, or deviation meter? It is really difficult to get the system
adjusted without this instrumentation by an inexperienced user. I can do
it by ear, but it isn't as good as when I do it with instrumentation.

If you don't have instrumentation, I would try doing the following: Call
into app_rpt using the reverse autopatch feature (you will need to set
this up in extensions.conf). Unsquelch the receiver so that you get COR
and receiver noise. Turn the RX level pot all the way counterclockwise
until you hear nothing (silence). Gradually turn up the RX level pot
until you hear some noise, they try using an HT to send DTMF commands.
If the tones don't mute, or sound chopped up, try increasing the RX
level until you get the tones to mute, and commands start being recognized.

NOTE: If you have a receiver with a lot of RX audio output, the RX pot
will be touchy, and a fraction of a turn will result in a lot of
receiver noise being heard. If this is the case, carefully adjust the
pot until you barely hear the noise at first.

If DTMF tones don't mute, regardless of the setting of the RX audio pot,
try the opposite de-emphasis setting on the ARIB and repeat the above
procedure.

This procedure isn't the best, and I wouldn't recommend it as an
alternate way to set the receive levles, but It should allow you to
figure out what is going on with the receive audio.

> Finally got around to do some more testing on the ARIB. I've tested the output of the op-amps and they are working. The op-amp U1B on pin 7 output is 241 milivolts and U1C output on pin 8 is 225 milivolts. This is my adjustment from R8, the RX gain pot for now. The audio signal is present in the receive chain.  Also the NO TS-64 jumper is in place.  When I try to send dtmf sig's app_rpt/asterisk do not respond on any of the local or remote commands.
>
> Also on the command line and its excecution, with duplex=0 in the config file, I get not audio or ptt response but i do get the screen action.  When I change duplex=1 or 3, I get audio and ptt to the repeater. In other words the transmit from the ARIB card is working but not the receive sig  that pass through the ARIB to asterisk for processing. Any help will be appreciated.

Why did you go to duplex=0 instead of duplex=2? That makes it very
difficult for to set levels.