[App_rpt] ACID system adminostrators guide

Skip WB6YMH wb6ymh at cox.net
Sat Aug 2 22:57:29 UTC 2008

> Skip
>
> Each frame in Asterisk starts out as 20mS of audio or 160 words of
> signed linear samples at a frame rate of 50 per second. Each 20mS 160 word
> sample is encoded in GSM which results in a compressed payload of 33
> bytes.
>
> Check.
>
> Now, on to that 33 byte packet you have to add 4 bytes for the IAX
> protocol header, 20 bytes for the IP header, 8 bytes for the UDP header,
> and 18 bytes for the ethernet header. So now we have 33+4+20+8+18 or 83
> bytes. At a frame rate of 50 per second, this means that we will have
> 83*50 or 4150 bytes per second which when multiplied by 8, is 33,200 bits
> per second. Throwing in 5% for IAX control frame overhead, and occasional
> IAX control frame retries, we get 34860 bytes or about 35 KB/sec. I have
> verified this with ntop running on my firewall machine and the numbers are
> very close to the calculations.
>
> Steve
> WA6ZFT

Ack.  So the difference is EchoLink sends 80 millseconds of audio/GSM per
packet and Asterisk/app_prt only sends 20 milliseconds so there are 4
times as many packets with 3 times the header overhead.  I excluded the
Ethernet header since it's stripped before going out the Wan port (at
least for dialup users which is where the calculation is most critical).

IRLP GSM sends 200 milliseconds of audio in each packet which is WAY WAY
too much IMHO.  I have no opinion if 20 milliseconds or 80 milliseconds
per packet is "better", I'm just trying to understand the numbers.

Thanks for the math!

73's Skip WB6YMH