[App_rpt] ACID system adminostrators guide

Stephen Rodgers hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Sat Aug 2 22:33:21 UTC 2008

Skip

Each frame in Asterisk starts out as 20mS of audio or 160 words of
signed linear samples at a frame rate of 50 per second. Each 20mS 160
word sample is encoded in GSM which results in a compressed payload of
33 bytes.

Check.

Now, on to that 33 byte packet you have to add 4 bytes for the IAX
protocol header, 20 bytes for the IP header, 8 bytes for the UDP header,
and 18 bytes for the ethernet header. So now we have 33+4+20+8+18 or
83 bytes. At a frame rate of 50 per second, this means that we will have
83*50 or 4150 bytes per second which when multiplied by 8, is 33,200
bits per second. Throwing in 5% for IAX control frame overhead, and
occasional IAX control frame retries, we get 34860 bytes or about 35
KB/sec. I have verified this with ntop running on my firewall machine
and the numbers are very close to the calculations.

Steve
WA6ZFT

http://site.asteriskguide.com/bandcalc/bandcalc.php