[App_rpt] USB hubs & USB audio

David Kramer dkramer at dmkeng.com
Tue Jul 22 20:39:54 UTC 2008

I have successfully tested URIs with several high speed USB hubs.  But these
tests were performed without any other USB devices connected at the same
time so this may not be very usefull.

Skip points out the difference between full speed (12Mbps) and high speed
(480Mbs) devices.  This terminology is confusing.  Not all USB 2.0 compliant
hubs support high speed, so be sure the package says HIGH SPEED.

Very few hubs support multiple transaction translators, probably because the
chip sets are more expensive and almost nobody understands the need.
Theoretically, one TT is all that is needed provided you don't mix USB 1.x
and 2.0 devices on the same hub.  Keep in mind that USB supports several
data modes each with varying priorities and latency allocations.  Plus USB
physical layer is half-duplex so one-way communication never comes close to
480Mbps.  The TT tries to handle all the traffic so don't expect good
results if you plug a bunch of web cams or other bandwidth hungry devices
into your hub.

Hope this help.

David Kramer
DMK Engineering Inc.