[App_rpt] Asterisk configuration for node with no locally connected RF and chan_rtpdir

Steven Palm n9yty at n9yty.com
Thu Jul 24 14:06:11 UTC 2008

On Jul 24, 2008, at 4:45 AM, Tony Langdon, VK3JED wrote:
> I have some sample configs, and the N9YTY notes, but those notes
> assume a local RF link.

  Everybody wants to own the radio... ;)

  I think the question is what to define for your rxchannel/txchannel
on the Allstar link node...  In my config, I created a "fake" node
number with the chan_rtpdir and then I link that up with my AllStar
node that owns the radio.

  Have you tried to define the AllStar node definition using
chan_rtpdir and not using a separate node number at all?  Without
trying it, I'm thinking that this may work.  You may want to define
the parameters much like I had them in that sample config for node
1000 as far as the linktolink, hangtime and other parameters just so
that the asterisk node doesn't send anything but pure voice data.

  Let me know if I can help, I'll do whatever I can and I'd be willing
to do some testing here as well.  You had a good point in that other
post in that the best audio quality may be obtained by having IRLP own
the radio anyway so that no conversion to GSM is done. I know that
IRLP allows quite extensive use of scripting from DTMF, and also that
asterisk can be controlled from the command line, so it may be
interesting to try this approach as well.

  Steve