[App_rpt] Asterisk configuration for node with no locally connected RF and chan_rtpdir

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Thu Jul 24 21:44:25 UTC 2008

At 12:06 AM 7/25/2008, you wrote:

>  I think the question is what to define for your rxchannel/txchannel
>on the Allstar link node...  In my config, I created a "fake" node
>number with the chan_rtpdir and then I link that up with my AllStar
>node that owns the radio.
>
>  Have you tried to define the AllStar node definition using
>chan_rtpdir and not using a separate node number at all?  Without
>trying it, I'm thinking that this may work.  You may want to define
>the parameters much like I had them in that sample config for node
>1000 as far as the linktolink, hangtime and other parameters just so
>that the asterisk node doesn't send anything but pure voice data.

I was going to do that, except James K6JWN mentioned that there is no
traffic on the link, unless I get an incoming call.  He suggested I
try a dummy node using ztdummy and then using the method you used to
bring in the link.  Haven't finalised my configs yet, so yet to fire
up the node.  I may be doing the occasional outbound call once I can
establish an Asterisk reflector out there (I don't have the CPU or
bandwidth to support conferencing locally), but my remote sites can't
run the meetme conference, because they can't load ztdummy (Virtuozzo  VPS).

>  Let me know if I can help, I'll do whatever I can and I'd be willing
>to do some testing here as well.  You had a good point in that other
>post in that the best audio quality may be obtained by having IRLP own
>the radio anyway so that no conversion to GSM is done. I know that
>IRLP allows quite extensive use of scripting from DTMF, and also that
>asterisk can be controlled from the command line, so it may be
>interesting to try this approach as well.

Well, I will initially be linking remotely, the local IRLP node is
not yet ready for linking to Asterisk, because the IRLP scripts don't
integrate well.  I would have to upgrade it to my beta code to allow
the local node to work.  That's getting higher up the todo list. :)

I will also need to know how to connect to other nodes as well. :)

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com