[App_rpt] Asterisk segfaults after installation

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun Jul 27 19:49:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Marshall <marshall at cal-net.org> wrote:
> Steve,
>
>>I look forward to a logic answer as to why EVB and ACID are being
>
>>basically forced, and why nobody writes a simple howto or script to get
>
>>Asterisk, libpri, Zaptel/DAHDI from Digium's servers, and build from
>
>>source.
>

> Instead of complaining about this, why don't you do all the work and write
> the scripts for the HAM community.
>
> Be a solution to the problem, not the cause.
>
> Everyone always wants to complain, but no one ever wants to take the time to
> help out of fix problems.
>
> Lots of folks have put a ton of time and personal money into this project
> and have been nice enough to share this work with the HAM community and not
> ask for monetary compensation. Don't complain about something you get for
> FREE!
>
> Like the old saying goes, "If you see something broken, FIX IT!"
>
> 73
>
> Marshall - ke6pcv

(snipped for overuse of whitespace)

This is not a HAM community, it is an Asterisk based repeater
community.  I have it in use for commercial non HAM operations that
you as a HAM are restricted from.

As far as money goes, yeah, the defunct Dingotel company probably put
in most of the effort and money for the idea to be ripped off.  The
URI is most likely infringing on a patent or several but that is
besides the point.

I am precipitating the fix, not creating the problem.  What problem
have I created?  Again, why so much pushback?

I paid for three URIs, that was in U$D, so much for free.  Now I
expect to be able to us that hardware on the OS/platform of my
choosing.  Am I out off line?

"Like the old saying goes, "If you see something broken, FIX IT!""  I
was not complaining, just asking logical questions.  Try logic over
emotion sometime, you might live longer...  at least try opening your
mind a bit, good advice for everyone.

Since when is asking what the logic of be corralled into anything
complaining?  If there is a logical answer rather than vague answers
such as "a labor of love" and "difficult to do", then I am open to
hearing it, otherwise it is propaganda to someone's agenda.

I logically want to be clear which it is.

HOWTO:
1.  Install your favorite flavor of Linux and configure it your way,
optimize your way, secure your way.
2.  Install prerequisites for Asterisk
3.  Go into /usr/src directory on your linux box
# cd /usr/src
4.  b) Download the latest SVN stable release of libpri and zaptel and
Jim's branch
# svn checkout http://svn.digium.com/svn/libpri/branches/1.4 libpri-1.4
# svn checkout http://svn.digium.com/svn/zaptel/branches/1.4 zaptel-1.4
# svn checkout http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/jdixon/chan_usbradio-1.4/
asterisk_usbradio
5.  cd into each of the above directories and read any READMEs or
similar all caps files.
6.  cd into libpri-1.4
# make clean
# make && make install
7.  cd into zaptel-1.4
# make clean
# make && make install
8.  cd into asterisks_usbradio
#  make clean
#  ./configure
#  "make menuselect" and make the selections you want.
#  make && make install
9.  Edit required files
10. Start Asterisk on the console with core dump on and a bit of verbose
# asterisk -vvvvvvvvvvvgc

Someone please test this as I have, and post to the websites pushing
EVB or ACID.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro