[App_rpt] nodenames.tar.gz: clearing up the confusion

Randy Hammock rhammock at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 5 02:58:26 UTC 2008

On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:35 PM, Steven Palm wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2008, at 9:09 PM, Stephen Rodgers wrote:
>> Specs: These messages should be as short as possible. And encoded in
>> 14
>> bit ULAW at a sample rate of 8KHz. The audio level should be
>> normalized
>> to 32 percent of full level,  You total file size should not exceed
>> 50 kilobytes. Cooledit is a good suggested program to use to generate
>> these files.
>
>  Oddest thing, I can't seem to find a single program for Mac OS X
> that does 14-bit ULAW.  I have lots that do the SUN/NeXT ua format
> which I believe is the same, but only 8/16/24/32-bit, nothing in 14-
> bit.
>
>  What program do Linux users use to do this?  I tried Audacity but it
> doesn't seem to even export ULAW at all.

I used sox on a linux box. sox is really cool as it can convert from
virtually any coding to another. I'd be willing to bet that a version
of sox could be found for the MAC OS X. I just checked, not built in
but will search for it. sox is used pretty heavily in the IRLP world
to convert .wav files to .ul (.ulaw) and back.

Try looking at http://sox.darwinports.com/

--
Randy Hammock KC6HUR
http://kc6hur.net/~rhammock/