[App_rpt] Just Placed an order with DMK Engineering

David Kramer dkramer at dmkeng.com
Sat Mar 8 00:39:21 UTC 2008

Hi Steve,

Your order for 3 URI's shipped yesterday via insured USPS Priority Mail.  In
the future we will try to do a better job of sending out confirmation
emails.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Regarding your comment about ~$10 modified FOBs...  if you can use one of
these I encourage you to do so.  It will certainly save you money.  You
should know the differences however between those devices and URI.

First of all, the FOBs are made in gazillion quantities which helps drive
the cost down.  We built an initial batch of 100 URIs so we don't have quite
the same magnitude scale.  Secondly, the cheapo FOBs consist of a sound
chip, a plastic housing, connectors and not much else.  In order to make it
work with Asterisk/app_rpt you have to attach a few components to some very
tiny surface mount pins, something not easy to do.  Here is what URI
provides that you don't get with the FOBs:

RF filtering on all I/Os
3-pole high-fidelity low-pass active filters on both audio outputs with
connections for AC or DC coupling
Optional high output drive capability 2X gain amplifier
AC and DC coupled options for audio in
Provisions for connector-mounted EEPROM intended for storing configuration
data
Circuitry for PTT, CTCSS, and COR connections
3 user programmable I/Os
RoHS compliant product
USB cable

In 100 piece quantities, the components alone cost more than twice what a
single USB audio FOB costs from geeks.com.  That doesn't include the bare PC
board, component assembly labor, housing, machining, final assembly, and
test.  Each URI must pass an extensive array of tests.  If one of the filter
capacitors is just slightly out of tolerance the unit is rejected.

When all is said and done DMK makes only a few dollars profit on each URI
sold.  This also does not take into account the initial product design and
development, first revision beta units that were given away for evaluation,
or any of the setup and tooling charges that were incurred.

I state this not to garner sympathy, but to let you know that we offer URIs
to the amateur community at a price that benefits the community far more
than it enriches us.  I wish you success with your project.

David Kramer
DMK Engineering Inc.
310-544-1222