[App_rpt] New USB Fob attempt...

Steven Palm n9yty at n9yty.com
Thu May 29 23:32:21 UTC 2008

Okay, Stephen, here is the state of my experiment so far...

I didn't burn your ISO to a physical disc yet, but I tried it in my
virtual machine and no change in behavior, but that isn't necessarily
that meaningful as it could be an issue with the virtual machine.

Back to my EVB installation...   After some playing around I figured
out how to use aplay to send a sound file out to the USB Fob...  aplay
--device=hwplug1:0,1 <filename>

I took a file recorded in the parrot mode and I put the PTT line to
ground while playing the file, and what do you know, it works great.

I do have an internal sound card on this box, and I am wondering if
something in the sound generation stuff is getting confused and
sending audio out the wrong sound card?  I don't have speakers on the
other one so I don't know, but the USB FOB is the second card detected.

I've tried to disable the internal card but haven't had much luck yet.

So, the upshot so far is that Asterisk/app_rpt is able to read the
receive audio, record it into a parrot file, and key the rig, but any
time it transmits there is no audio. Nothing, nada, zilch, just a
carrier.  Playing a sound file through the USB FOB while forcing PTT
on the radio does in fact transmit audio.

Still thinking, but running out of things to think of trying.

Steve