[App_rpt] app_rpt on EVB v FreePBX 2.5 update

Steven Palm n9yty at n9yty.com
Mon Sep 15 18:32:16 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Just a note that may be useful to others....

And no, please don't write me back to say "why would you do that".
This is only meant as helpful information for those who decide they DO
want to do it.

I upgraded my EVB-based system to FreePBX 2.5rc1.

My USB Fob would no longer function, and in fact generated a lot of
log entries as rpt kept respawning itself, unable to detach the USB
HID device.

It seems that the /usr/local/bin/app_rpt_helper routine...

grep "permiblast" /var/lib/asterisk/bin/freepbx_engine > /dev/null 2>&1
res=$?
if [ $res = 1 ]; then
     sed -i 's/\[ -e \/dev\/dsp ] && chown -R asterisk:asterisk \/dev\/
dsp/\/usr\/local\/bin\/permiblast/' /var/lib/asterisk/bin/freepbx_engine
fi

...is no longer sufficient.

Now the lines in /var/lib/asterisk/bin/freepbx_engine look like this:

         [ -e /dev/dsp ] && chown -R $AMPDEVUSER:$AMPDEVGROUP /dev/dsp

So the match fails.  Rather than muck up freepbx_engine too much, I
just added a line right below that line in freepbx_engine:

           /usr/local/bin/permiblast

All is well now. :)   I suppose I should fix the app_rpt_helper script
to look for the new format, because future updates in the FreePBX
series are likely to keep this pattern and my next upgrade may well
break things again.

Again, just FYI for those who may care.

Steve - N9YTY