[App_rpt] 2199 Update

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Wed Sep 24 01:41:13 UTC 2008

Following some major changes to the VK IRLP/Echolink backbone, the
performance of AllStar node 2199 has been improved considerably.  The
audio dropouts that plagued the system appear to have gone in early
testing, and I'm getting a clean feed.

The distance has been reduced from around 16000km to 800km between
the AllStar node and the rest of the network.  Latency across the
link is now a little over 20mS RTT (down from around 200mS), and most
likely less jitter.  I do eventually intend to move Asterisk to the
same physical server as the new hub, but we are having issues getting
Asterisk compiled correctly for the environment (the system is
running in a vserver virtual machine).  Once the final move has been
made, AllStar will also have the capability to handle many
simultaneous connections, probably limited by the resources of the
host machine (which is a fairly beefy box, I am told).

Give 2199 a whirl and see if you can confirm my test results.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com