[App_rpt-users] more on FT897 remote

Stephen Rodgers sales at qrvc.com
Fri Apr 17 03:28:52 UTC 2009

George Csahanin wrote:
> Just did some more investigating.
>
> I can control frequency and mode now, just fine.
>
> Can't control PL on/off, PL Freq, repeater offset (I thought that worked from preset channels in rpt.conf, but it was auto repeater offset doing that)
>
> And then the PTT. I'll guess I can usbfob that PTT, like I did the UHF node radio. But when I discovered that the AM tune (*79) (case 119) put it into transmit, I figured that was the PTT mode select, over a serial port command (0x88, or was it 0x08...one's on one's off). I see PTT Off in the source, not on. So just need that clarfied.
>
> I can hook the radio up to HamradioDeluxe and it controls fine.
>
> Are there any serial port controls, parity, stop bits, word length, etc? That could impact this somehow.
>
> My rpt.conf remote stanza, bold ones work, others readback as though they worked (double beep or speech) but have no effect on the radio:
>
> 0=remote,1 ; Retrieve Memory MM  (*000-*099) (Gets memory from rpt.conf)
> 1=remote,2 ; Set freq. VFO MMMMM*KKK*O   (Mhz digits, Khz digits, Offset)
> 2=remote,3 ; Set tx PL tone PL Tone HHH*D*
> 3=remote,4 ; Set rx PL tone
> 40=remote,100 ; Rx PL off
> 41=remote,101 ; Rx PL on
> 42=remote,102 ; Tx PL off
> 43=remote,103 ; Tx PL on
> 44=remote,104 ; Low Power
> 45=remote,105 ; Medium Power
> 46=remote,106 ; High Power
> 711=remote,107 ; Bump 20
> 714=remote,108 ; Bump 100
> 717=remote,109 ; Bump 500
> 713=remote,110 ; Bump +20
> 716=remote,111 ; Bump +100
> 719=remote,112 ; Bump +500
> 721=remote,113 ; Scan slow
> 724=remote,114 ; Scan quick
> 727=remote,115 ; Scan fast
> 723=remote,116 ; Scan + slow
> 726=remote,117 ; Scan + quick
> 729=remote,118 ; Scan + fast
> 79=remote,119 ; Tune (brief AM transmission for automatic
>                 ;antenna tuner)
> 51=remote,5 ; Long status query
> 52=remote,140 ; Short status query
> 67=remote,210 ; Send a *
> 69=remote,211 ; Send a #
> 6=remote,6                              ; Set mode
>
> The Yaesu Opcodes that don't function are all over 0x08

OK FT897 it is.

The "tune" mode keys the TX through the serial port, but the radio is
keyed through the PTT line when transmitting normally.

The baud rate or parity can't be wrong as you can remotely set the
frequency. Maybe the radio is configured strangely? Did you set up the
FT-897 menu settings according to the instructions here?:

http://app-rpt.qrvc.com/downloads/ft897settings.pdf

The other thing to try would be to hook up a scope to the PC's TX data
line and see if it wiggles when the CTCSS commands are sent. You could
also use a null modem cable and another PC running hyperterminal or
minicom to see what's being sent.

Steve
WA6ZFT