[App_rpt-users] usbradio similar driver with non usb sound cards?

Steve Gladden steve at michiganbroadband.com
Sun Dec 6 22:16:25 UTC 2009

Is it at all reasonable or worthwhile to even *think* I could write an
alternate driver like usbradio but that uses some kind of 'generic'
audio driver that outputs and captures audio from just about any
'common' PCI or ISA type sound card via it's normal linux driver..
and route radio PTT to something like a pin on a serial or parallel port??

I've been doing this for quite sometime with the Linux soundcard packet
radio drivers where it almost doesn't matter what sound card you have
installed it works..

Was just wondering if this is possible.. and if it may be a worthwhile
project for me to eventually take on..
And what the good and bad may be in doing so.

Is all the work that has been done on the cm108 driver so specific to
the cm108 that it could not be easily applied to another sound device?

Or is this rather simple and I should get to work on it?

Thanks for entertaining my curiosity...

I also thought that might be a really good learning project for me to do
and learn how to do it... also why or why it may not be a good idea.

Thanks!

Steve

believed to be clean.