[App_rpt-users] usbradio similar driver with non usb

hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:56:33 UTC 2009

> From: "Yokshs" <yokshs at sbcglobal.net>
> Date: 2009/12/08 Tue AM 09:04:21 PST
> To: <app_rpt-users at qrvc.com>
> Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] usbradio similar driver with non usb
>
> > I made the changes to usbradio that you suggest about a year or so ago, and it worked ok.  However I was just getting started with app-rpt, and
> > there were some other little issues I was having.  I decided to mod the cm108 device and see how that compared.  Unless you're using the
> > recommended hardware/software, it's really hard for anyone to help.
>

> I'm also interested in such a driver. I'd really like to continue using my IRLP board, but I can't seem to make app-rpt work with it directly.
>
> 73,
>
> Kyle
> K0KN

As Jim Dixon stated previously, this is a can of worms about to be opened. If someone wants to offer support other than us, that is OK, but this project does not have the developer resources to support every conceivable sound card which is what this would entail. There was a real good reason to limit support to 1 or 2 radio interfaces! The radio interface hardware could then be controlled as a known quantity. This has been our philosophy since the project began.

Supporing the IRLP board is not a simple prospect. The IRLP board is not the only peice of the puzzle. The IRLP board depends on a sound card, and this sound card can be anything.

Although sound cards and IRLP interfaces are what folks have, and these folks don't want to invest in a whole new radio interface due to the added costs, the developers feel that this is too much of a burden on them and therefore have no inclination to open up support for every sound card out there.

Steve
WA6ZFT