[App_rpt-users] usbradio similar driver with non usb

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at vkradio.com
Tue Dec 8 19:24:47 UTC 2009

At 04:56 AM 12/9/2009, hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com wrote:

>Although sound cards and IRLP interfaces are what folks have, and
>these folks don't want to invest in a whole new radio interface due
>to the added costs, the developers feel that this is too much of a
>burden on them and therefore have no inclination to open up support
>for every sound card out there.

As there is already software which supports sound cards and IRLP
boards (and a bunch of Echolink interfaces), such as thelinkbox,
perhaps improving the integration batween Asterisk and this sort of
software would be worth doing.  I'd certainly like to be able to
integrate Asterisk smoothly with my linkbox based systems.  The
chan_rtpdir driver went a long way to doing this, but it had a few
limitations, like being stuck with the GSM codec.

I'm sure if a better interface was developed, Skip would be happy to
support it in thelinkbox and thebridge.  I know chan_echolink or
chan_irlp could be used to make an audio link, but on some
configurations, that requires some careful scripting to treat the
internal link to Asterisk separately from any conventional IRLP or
Echolink connections.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com