[App_rpt-users] Location of source code for usbradio.c and xpmr bits please ?

Stephen Rodgers sales at qrvc.com
Fri Jul 3 00:51:01 UTC 2009

Steve Zingman wrote:
> MW0CQU wrote:
>> Hmmm..... I sympathise about the fork!, but nevertheless its a damned
>> shame :-/
>>
>> Well..... my dilema is quite simple - I can't run another PC in the
>> house for economic / environmental / fan noise / RF noise / CoWC (*)
>> reasons ( theres allready 6 running 24/7!! plus at least 4 others ,
>> plus windows mobile devices )
>>
>> However, I do have a second stand alone Linux server not running
>> asterisk in the same DMZ, but theres so much else going
>> on with that box (apache / proftpd / terrabyte+ NAS, virtualisation,
>> webcams, skype gateway, and so on )
>> that theres no way  I  can trash it and reinstall  ACID - WAYYY too
>> much work.
>>
>> Is there a "build from scratch" readme in the SVN checkout please ? I
>> just want to ensure I have the "make" order right
>>
>> Anyone had any success running ACID with a USB sound fob under
>> virtualisation ? I know other asterisk distros had
>> sound stability problems running virtualised?
>>
> I'm running a hub (Node 2100) under VMWare ESX with no problems.
> I have no sound hardware on the VM, so I can't comment on sound issues.
> It's running on Debian 5.0 (Lenny)
>
> For a "roll your own" readme, I would suggest a place to start is the
> ACID scripts.
> I'll be out of town for a few weeks. When I get back I'll post my
> install script for Debian.
>
> 73, Steve N4IRS

Virtual machines are suboptimal for asterisk, because Asterisk a real
time application.

My solution was to use small mini-itx systems with solid state disks
and/or compact flash for my phone system and my radio system. My main
file server is also mini-itx. The 2 asterisk systems draw less than 30W,
and the file server draws less than 50W. This is 0.11 kWh.

A kill-a-watt meter was used to make these measurements. These can be
had for under $30.00 each. I don't know if they make a version for UK
230/240V mains voltage (BS 1363 plug) though.

Steve
WA6ZFT