[App_rpt-users] Autopatch on a simplex node?

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) Ramesh at va3uv.com
Fri Jul 31 21:22:09 UTC 2009

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I've been helping another node owner to setup an autopatch on his
> system.  I have everything working - BUT... when it comes to outbound
> calls, the PTT on the local (simplex) radio is kept keyed, which
> prevents any local traffic from being sent over the radio to the remote
> callee.
>
> I'm wondering whether the PTT can be dropped on a simplex node?

<-- Just an update folks;  I've been experimenting with the auto-patch
stuff on my own system (node 2182), which is connected to a repeater -
but since I use an external controller, my node is also running as a
half-duplex node (duplex=0).

So with duplex=0, the patch does not work, there is no PTT activity on
the local transmitter - yet remote transmitters (i.e., nodes that are
connected to me) do have their TX keyed (regardless of whether they are
half-duplex or full-duplex).

I changed duplex=1; no difference.

Changing duplex=2, did the trick - there was PTT activity on the local
transmitter and my own audio was also going out over the local
transmitter (plus remotes as well) - no problem there.  I need to
experiment a bit further to see whether I can sustain the duplex=2
setting with an external repeater controller, or whether I have to say
b'bye to the controller and connect the app_rpt box directly to the
repeater.

This also leads me to believe that a simplex node (duplex=0) will not
work with an auto-patch.  Can someone confirm this?

Also, is anyone using duplex=2 with an external repeater controller?

Thx!

Ramesh.