[App_rpt-users] StarTech USB Fobs

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) Ramesh at va3uv.com
Sat May 30 02:33:59 UTC 2009

Hi Folks;

This is a re-post of a problem that I've reported before - perhaps as
time has passed, and more folks have experienced the fob modification,
someone out there may have seen this....

I have modified a number of StarTech USB fobs (CM108 based), I have
found that when the fobs have been modified, when you plug the fob into
the PC (which is previously on), the PC seems to 'see' the fob as a
stuck keyboard - I hear a cyclical beep from the PC speaker and some
ascii characters on the screen [26] if I remember correctly.

I tried this on 2 different PC's - an IBM 8172 and a DELL Precision
Workstation.  I powered down the IBM and re-booted it from cold with the
fob attached - it seemed to power up fine and before long the LED on the
new fob was flashing away - seems to be fine.

On the DELL, same thing when the machine was already on.  I shut the
machine down, inserted the fob and restarted - no luck there, the
machine continued to detect a stuck keyboard printing the ascii 26
across the screen... I couldn't even login since the ascii char's kept
on printing across the screen.

Back to the IBM - I connected my repeater to the fob and I have PTT out,
audio out, when I issue a DTMF command, the DTMF char's print on the
CLI, so obviously I have audio in and the fob senses a valid COS signal
- all suggesting that the mod is OK.

As I mentioned earlier, I have seen this a number of times with the
StarTech fobs - just wondering if anyone else has seen this and whether
there is an easy solution to this (sure would be nice to have the fobs
inter-changeable between machines).

Cheers,

Ramesh.