[App_rpt-users] Dyn DNS client

Stephen Rodgers sales at qrvc.com
Wed Nov 4 11:59:39 UTC 2009

Carl Swanson wrote:
> Hello all...
>
> I am slowly building up node 2391 as a remote base, and I am wondering what all of you (that have dynamic IP addresses) do for updating your IP address against a static hostname. I use a Custom DNS service from DynDNS.
>
> Are you mostly relying on a hardware router/firewall to update IP addresses, or is there something embedded in the Allstar network structure that maintains a database of updated IP addresses?
>
> I will probably have a lot more questions, but these will do for now.
>
> 73,
>
> Carl, K6CRS

Allstar nodes register periodically with register.allstarlink.org (Please refer to the register statement in
/etc/asterisk/iax.conf). The registration server collects the IP addresses it sees, and maintains an updated list of
IP addresses for every active node. This list is then requested periodically by all active nodes and is used to
make connections and validate incoming connectons.

We used to rely on a Dynamic DNS service, but registration replaced that.

If you are planning on being able to remotetly ssh into the node, then you will need to set up some form of Dynamic DNS
client.  We prefer using the inadyn client for this purpose.

Steve
WA6ZFT