[App_rpt-users] ACID install issue anyone seen this before? anyone know the centos default root password?

Steve Gladden steve at michiganbroadband.com
Fri Nov 20 05:49:53 UTC 2009

Steve Gladden wrote:

>> Anyone seen this before? anyone know the Centos default root password?
>>

>>> Meanwhile I'm going to try this on a 3Ghz all Intel much faster and see
>>> if the radio drop outs are indeed gone or if they're all still there
>>> and if in the same way or different...
>>>

>> Or not... just tried installing ACID on two different *new* systems..
>> On both systems it goes and does everything updates & all..
>> I think it even compiles asterisk.. or sor sure at least starts into that process..
>>
>> There's some sort of 'error right before it goes to the login screen but goes by in less than 1/2 second..
>> Hitting shit+pageup shows some scrollback but not the error..
>>

>> Whie instlling ACID It goes straight to a login screen right after install and never EVER prompts for anything at all..
>> Anyone know the default root password on ACID if the install is doing this?
>>

>> Strange this happened a few days ago on one of the slower test systems...
>> My only choice was to reboot and start all over again..
>> and it worked the 2nd time..
>>
>> Just tried 4 times here and each time it seems to do everything including all of the updates (centos)..
>> then just goes to a login prompt.. (I'm positive it's re formatting the hard drive during the install.
>> I've also tried other install media..
>>
>> rebooting just comes back to login again.. it somehow installed having not prompted for anything and it set a root password.
>>
>> Tried two computers total of 5 times this evening same result.
>> It's almost as if some web resource is down and the install is bailing and doing some other default action along with setting up
>> a password for root on it's own.
>>
>> everything seems to install and just goes to a login prompt never having asked for anything like it normally does
>> where it asks for your node number/pass and callsign.
>>
>> Centos's LiveCD root password 12qwaszx does not work.
>>

>> Thanks!!
>> Steve
>>

> I feel like a dork but I'm going to go attempt the install (again) but
> with a video camera trained on the screen
>  so I can catch that 1/4 to 1/2 second or error on the screen before it
> jumpts to a login prompt.

Used the video camera to catch the error..
Everything goes fine (all centos updates + downloads) until it tries to
build asterisk (2nd phase install) and it immediately fails stating we
don't have the sources for kernel such & such.

I suspect the kernel is being updated somehow in the install but it is
not updating the source code either to a changed or unavailable Internet
resource.
Fairly obvious this is what is going on.. for some reason at compile
time we do not have the kernel source that it's expecting.
This seems to be a completely hands-off install so there no way to stop
it or go verify what packages are installed or updating etc..
It just fails (in about 1/4 second) and immediately exists the script
and turns you over to a login prompt with an already unknown set root
password.

Steve

believed to be clean.