[App_rpt-users] app_rpt with single usb interface CPU requirements.

Steve Gladden steve at michiganbroadband.com
Wed Oct 21 19:17:26 UTC 2009

Hello..
I'm looking for a little feedback on those who have experienced and used
the USB sound device and realtime CPU requirements for the DSP routines..

Reading the documentation suggests that I MUST use at least a 1.3Ghz CPU
for usb_chan applications.

The dilemma I have is that I have a beautiful rackmount AMD Duron 1.1Ghz
CPU server sitting right here that would be awesome for the application
if it will keep up.
It's going to be a very light use system (testing only) and single user
at a time type scenario.. not multiple connections or linking to other
repeaters etc.
This will not be the production multiuser system.

* I will be using non compressed codecs (G.711/WAV/PCM) wherever
possible for voice quality Internet bandwidth is not a concern on this
system.

Do you think I'm still going to run into a CPU bottleneck with a 1.1Ghz
CPU for this use?  (I know just try it out and see... and I'm going to)
haha.

What part of the code eats the most CPU?

I ahve a lot of experience using Asterisk 2.4 on older P2/400Mhz class
systems and I have had a lot of surprising performance out of them in
terms of multiple users compressed codecs (GSM/G729)
trascoding meetme conferences and IAX trunks all going on at the same
time without issues and seeing relatively low CPU usage considering all
the activity and bridging transcoding goign on.

I must admit I've never used asterisks built in inband DTMF detection
because I've never been able to get it to work reliably even on a
lighning fast 3.5Ghz Xeon.
Might just be that I've not taken the time to work with it because
RFC2833 works flawlessly for VOIP. (getting a little side tracked there
sorry).

Take care and THANKS for sharing your thoughts & experiences!

Steve

believed to be clean.