[App_rpt-users] Internet connectivity loss caused asterisk crash?

Neil Addis (WA5JXY) wa5jxy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 17:35:53 UTC 2010

I have two Allstar nodes running (each on separate boxes) at a remote
site with internet connectivity.
All was working great then a storm passed and the little linksys
switch hung in a wierd state.
No traffic in/out to the internet however the two pc's were still
talking and linked.
The repeaters were still functioning, but obviously no linking to the
outside world.

Then about two weeks later, both pc's quit repeating and had no
response to any dtmf commands.
I figured I lost the UPS (only common item other than the switch).

Finally made a trip to the site and found the UPS was ok as were both
pc's. The URI's were NOT flashing, indicating asterisk had crashed.

I didn't take a monitor with me, only a laptop so I didn't see what
was on the screen before I rebooted them.

After a reboot (and replacing the fried ethernet switch) everything
came back up.

So, my question is, would loss of internet for an extended time cause
CentOS (or Asterisk) to crash?

Were can I probe around in the logs (if any) to try and find out what happened?

Thanks in advance....
Neil