[App_rpt-users] Asterisk on Xen DomU?

"Jeremy R. Geeo [KDØEAV]" kd0eav at clear-sky.net
Wed Aug 18 12:10:33 UTC 2010

I'll start with the "show stopper" ...

Tony Langdon, VK3JED wrote:
> I've been trying to install Asterisk/AllStar on my existing X
> server.  The purpose of this is to create a conference bridge, and
> eventually link it to an existing IRLP/Echolink conference.
>
> In time, I hope to run multiple conferences on the server and provide
> AllStar support for a few conferences.
>
> Anyway, I have one show stopping problem and some queries.
>
> The show stopper is ztdummy.  When I attempt to load it, it causes a
> kernel panic.  The "known issues" so far discovered date back to
> 2007.  Anyone able to unearth any more on this issue?

I currently have a few Asterisk systems running within Xen DomUs ...
curious where you got the kernel module from ??

What versions are you running of zaptel and the linux kernel ??

I am running zaptel-1.4.12.1 compiled against a 2.6.20 linux kernel. The
kernel panic almost seems like the module might be compiled against a
different kernel than the one that is running for the DomU. Are there
any clues in the panic ?? Do you still have any control over the system
after the panic where you might be able to glean some clues from dmesg ??

In addition, there is one modification I've had to make to the zaptel
source in order for it run correctly within a Xen DomU. ztdummy attempts
to use the RTC which is incorrect on Xen - I've had to comment out part
of zaptel-1.4.12.1/kernel/ztdummy.c to prevent it from making that
choice. I'll have to locate that fix/change - you'll recognize the issue
when asterisk finally starts up w/ ztdummy and complains about timing.

- Jeremy, KD0EAV